I’ve written and edited copy for all kinds of print and online content over the years, from magazine and newspaper articles, posters, booklets, and annual reports to visual guides, infographics, interactive games, and corporate web pages. I started out in journalism and PR, so I have plenty of experience writing editorial text and news releases, in addition to marketing and promotional copy.
Most recent jobs
My most recent copywriting and journalism work, not counting Civil Disobedience’s own marketing content, includes:
- A Swedish feature for Aftonbladet (the biggest selling newspaper in Sweden), where I interviewed the subject, wrote the feature and took photographs to accompany it.
- A contract to write almost all of the content for the new Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation website, which launched at the end of March 2018.
- Onsite pages (product pages and blog content) for Sage UK and Sage US.
In 2017, I project manged the creation of the Civil Disobedience Edinburgh Fringe programme, from design concept right through to delivery, including writing, editing, and proofreading most of the copy. I also created the 2017 Civil Disobedience promotional and sponsorship packs from scratch, using Canva, and I manage the Civil Disobedience website.
While at Yard, I project managed the monthly content production schedules for Sainsbury’s Bank. In addition to working with the design team and various client stakeholders to deliver high quality content to set deadlines, this usually involved me writing, editing, and proofreading copy.
- Long-form PDF guide to keeping your money safe abroad (I researched the content and wrote the copy)
- Visual guide to ‘keeping your money safe abroad‘, complementing the above PDF (I researched the content and wrote all the copy)
- Visual guide to pet microchipping (I fact-checked and edited the copy, plus wrote the supporting copy)
- Long-form PDF guide on what to do if your pet goes missing (I fact-checked, edited, and co-wrote the copy)
- Long-form PDF guide to driving in winter weather (I fact-checked, edited, and co-wrote the copy)
I also worked on content for many other clients while at Yard, including writing and editing the copy for the ROX Glasgow Guide to Proposals, the ROX Edinburgh Guide to Proposals, as well as a range of content on the Kettler Indoor/Outdoor content hub.
I have crafted copy for and/or managed the content on numerous websites, using a variety of content management systems. This has included thinking about keywords and core messages, as well as crafting descriptive page titles, meta text and clear calls to action.
Examples of websites I’ve written for, and/or managed, include:
www.experienceenglish.com (ELC English)
Examples of live web pages with my writing:
I have set up (or helped set up) a number of social media networks and blogs for commercial businesses, charitable organisations and interest groups, and created content for many more. Some examples:
Civil Disobedience on Facebook
Civil Disobedience on Twitter
Civil Disobedience on Instagram
Andrews Fashion Festival (STAFF) on Twitter
St Andrews Fashion Festival on Instagram
Money Matters – the Sainsbury’s Bank blog
LGBT icons blog
LGBT icons Facebook page
Experience English (ELC English) Facebook page
Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce Facebook page
News articles, features, columns & print
I have placed copy and been published in a spread of publications, as a writer and PR representative, including Edinburgh Evening News, The Observer Food Magazine, Firm Magazine, Positive Nation, Base Magazine and Third Force News.